Social Work with Families
Co-ordinated by Gabi Čačinovič Vogrinčič ...
1.1 Type of qualification: second cycle: masters study programme
1.2 Programme duration: 1 year
1.3 Number of credits (ECTS): 60 ECTS
2. Mode of study: Part-time in academic year 2018/19.
3. The basic programme goals and competences achieved by the programme
To enable students to acquire specific new skills for effective social work with families in a study process that repeatedly calls for the integration of concepts in work projects; to learn to provide support and assistance, enabling students to have a new work experience with families on two levels: building a working relationship that enables co-creation of original work projects for help and cooperation and through the exploration of changes that a family needs in order to achieve desired outcomes; to learn about specialised social work with families in various fields (e.g. divorce, foster care, etc.) and in various institutional contexts (e.g. social work centres, non-governmental organisations).
Competences achieved by the programme
- know and understand concepts, theories and phenomena as well as the methods and procedures of social work,
- analyse and synthesise knowledge of the family in modern society, since this enables a differentiated understanding of problems and is a cornerstone for co-creating viable solutions in social work with families,
- apply research methods in social work, and apply procedures and processes in the area of social work with families,
- think and act strategically,
- apply knowledge, procedures and methods in practice,
- apply critical and ethical self-reflection in thinking and actions,
- recognise, understand and respond to diversity,
- recognise and understand human hardships and crises tied to socially and personally determined circumstances,
- co-create desired outcomes with consideration for the user’s perspective,
- be innovative,
- work in a team, group and project,
- jointly manage and co-manage,
- work in an international and plural professional environment,
- be professional: ability of professional discipline, concern for own professional development, for the development, recognition and standing of the profession and communication of knowledge.
The student must complete:
- Two compulsory courses
- Practicum-Field work
- Two elective subjects from the list of elective subjects of the study programme Social Work with Families
- Two open elective subjects from the list of elective subjects of the study programme Social Work with Families or list of elective subjects from other master’s study programme, 2nd cycle on the Faculty of Social work
- And the Master’s thesis.